What is Cymbalta Withdrawal?
Cymbalta Withdrawal is a product name for duloxetine, a type of antidepressant used to treat depressive and anxiety disorders. Cymbalta can also be used to treat the following:
- Nerve pain from diabetes
Cymbalta is in a group of medications called serotonin-norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors (SNRIs).
The following are some complications a person using Cymbalta may experience:
One of the side effects of cymbalta is insomnia. Insomnia usually disrupts your sleep. It makes it difficult for you to sleep at night; you remain awake for longer periods at night. As a result of not sleeping well at night, you feel tired throughout the following day and unable to concentrate.
In addition, it is hard for you to take a nap during the day. Insomnia can have profound effects on your quality of life. It limits what you can do during the day and leads to breakdown in your relationship with friends, colleagues and relatives.
Nausea and vomiting
Cymbalta Withdrawal can cause nausea and vomiting .Nausea is a symptom that makes you feel uneasy in the stomach and leads to vomiting. Vomiting is where you involuntary empty stomach contents through the mouth.
Normally, vomiting and nausea are harmless but they cause dehydration; you lose a lot of fluids in the body. Although they are harmless, seek medical attention if you notice the following:
- Blood in the vomit
- Painful headache
- Pain in the abdomen
- Reduced concentration
- Blurred vision 5
Cymbalta Withdrawal can also affect your vision or cause blurred vision. This is a condition where you are unable to see clearly .Blurred vision can affect both of your eyes or only one eye.
Sexual problems caused by antidepressant are very common in both men and women. Antidepressant affects sexual life in the following ways:
- It makes it difficult for a person to have and sustain an erection.
- It delays sexual arousal and therefore leads to sexual dissatisfaction.
- It makes it difficult for a person to have an orgasm.
- It lowers your desire to have sex.
These sexual side effects vary among individuals and depend on a particular antidepressant and dose taken. For some people these effects may be relieved as they adjust to the drug. Other people may continue to suffer from these sexual effects and hence ruins their sexual life.
- Below are some antidepressants that have serious effect on your sexual life:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as cymbalta.
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors like desvenlafaxine.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as tranylcypromine.
Cymbalta Withdrawal can make you to develop constipation. Cymbalta interrupts the usual performance of your digestive system and other organs of this system leading to constipation
You can prevent constipation by doing the following:
- Drink a lot of water
- Eat food rich in fiber such as vegetables, fresh fruits and wholegrain.
- Exercise regularly.
Cymbalta and tricyclic antidepressants can make you become dizzy. They lower your blood pressure leading to dizziness.
Some of the ways you can use to prevent dizziness include:
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Take a lot of fluids
This is an eye condition that occurs when the optic nerve that joins your brain to the eye is damaged. Several drugs can cause glaucoma through open or closed angle means. Cymbalta induces angle closure causing glaucoma in patients with a narrow anterior chamber angles. This condition can lead to loss of vision if not treated.
People with glaucoma do not show any symptom at the beginning. However, you can have noticeable red eyes and severe pain in your eyes. Other symptoms include loss of vision, headache and soreness on the areas around your eyes.
Glaucoma can be treated if detected early. Visit the optician regularly for eye checkup so that the doctor helps you to prevent eye infection. Usually when you have glaucoma, the following treatment options can be prescribed by your optician:
Medications: Your optician may prescribe prednisolone eye drop to help reduce inflammation and pressure in your eyes.
Surgery intervention: Your optician can conduct surgery to help enhance drainage of fluids in your eyes.
Laser treatment: Your optician can perform laser surgery procedure to open up the blocked tubes in your eyes to allow fluids to drain properly.
Always follow the instructions from your doctor when taking cymbalta. Don’t quit taking cymbalta on your own because it can lead to severe withdrawal symptoms. The following are withdrawal symptoms of cymbalta:
- Some people may have headache, anxiety and feel dizzy after stopping taking cymbalta.
- Other symptoms of cymbalta withdrawal include nausea and vomiting, insomnia and nightmares.
Cymbalta is not recommended if you have any of the following medical conditions:
Cymbalta can aggravate symptoms of narrowed- angle glaucoma in persons with this condition.
There are some diseases that can damage your liver such as liver cirrhosis. Liver cirrhosis is caused by consuming excess alcohol for a long period of time. Drinking too much alcohol when taking cymbalta may increase the severity of cymbalta side effects which can damage your liver.
Interactions with other Medications
Cymbalta can interact with other medications and cause serious problems for you. The following medications should not be taken without doctor’s advice if you are using cymbalta:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as Zelapar, Emsam and Nardil. Blood thinners such as Jantoven
- Over-the-counter medications that relieve pain such as aspirin
- Other drugs used to treat depression such as amoxapine.
Cymbalta can be transferred through your breast milk to the baby through breastfeeding and cause serious complication to the baby. Cymbalta can also harm the fetus. Talk to your doctor before breastfeeding when you are taking Cymbalta.
When to See a Doctor?
You can call the doctor if side effects of cymbalta are very serious. See your doctor when you experience the following symptoms:
- Your skin and eyes become yellowish, a condition known as jaundice
- There is pain in your abdomen
- Urine changes to dark
- Have fever and difficulty in breathing.
- Other symptoms include swollen face, lips, pain in your chest and severe weakness.
- What is Cymbalta (duloxetine)? Available at http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/cymbalta
- Insomnia. Available at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Insomnia/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Nausea and vomiting. Available at http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-nausea-vomiting#1
- Blurred vision. Available at https://www.eyeinstitute.co.nz/the-eye/eye-problems-and-symptoms/blurred-vision.htm
- Antidepressant. Available at http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/antidepressants/faq-20058104
- Glaucoma .Available at http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Glaucoma/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Drug-Induced Glaucoma. Available at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1205298-overview
- LASIK Eye Surgery. Available at http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/lasik-laser-eye-surgery#1
- 7 Antidepressant Side Effects. Available at http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/drug-side-effects.aspx